Every athlete has unique dietary needs. Therefore, if you want to perform your best as a skateboarder, you need to focus on more than just the equipment or your maneuvers. You also need to place an emphasis on nutrition and hydration. Doing so will give you that competitive edge and help you feel your best anytime you pursue the activity.
So, what should you eat and what do you need to know to become a Shralpin skateboarding athlete and champion?
If you skateboard 3 times or more per week, you need more nourishment to support your increased physical activity. Doing so will promote correct weight management and muscular functioning, allowing you to maintain a high level of performance while skating.
Water is critical for regular bodily functioning and for sustaining energy.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking at least ten eight-ounce glasses each day.
- Drink two to three glasses of water an hour before skateboarding activities.
- While skating, sip on water and finish with two to four cups. This assists your body in replenishing fluids lost throughout the exercise.
Getting Your Carbs
Carbohydrates supply energy to the muscles, allowing you to endure vigorous workouts while skating.
- Complex carbs provide a slow release of energy so your body can retain these nutrients for use at a later time. You can receive complex carbs in whole-grain pasta, potatoes, fruits, legumes, and vegetables.
- Include carbs in each meal. Eat a serving about two hours before skateboarding for optimal energy.
Why Carbs are Necessary: Key Takeaways
Taking in carbs gives you the advantage of endurance – extra energy while skating as well as energy for recovering.
You should eat fats in moderation when you are skating.
- You usually get enough fat in your regular diet.
- The fats you consume should make up about 10% of your daily nutritional requirements.
Although you should prioritize the use of proteins, you do not have to eat excess amounts.
- The protein in your diet should make up about 12% of your daily dietary intake.
- If you combine weightlifting with skateboarding, you need to ramp up the protein you eat. In this case, you need about 1 gram for each 2 pounds of body weight.
- Protein foods include dairy, soy, legumes, fish, and lean meats.
Vitamins and Minerals
Skateboarders should eat fresh foods to receive the vitamins and minerals they need.
- To make sure you receive adequate nutrition, it helps to take a multivitamin each day.
- Vitamins and minerals ensure a better performance.
Getting a Professional Assessment
Only a nutritionist can pin down what you need nutritionally.
- A nutritionist can assess what you need nutritionally in terms of your age, gender, weight, and overall health.
- What you eat also depends on your weight loss goals or plans for weight gain or maintenance.
Before you talk to a nutritionist, jot down what you eat each day for several days. That will help you develop a plan that will work for you and you as a skater nutritionally.